EPS presents no dangers to health in installation, during use and in the waste stage. EPS does not scratch your hands nor does it irritate your skin or mucous membranes. Labour laws do not require gloves or masks to work with such a soft and solid material. EPS is biologically inert and does not produce any pathogenic dust, even on the long term. Thus EPS is safe for both installers and users.
EPS is non-toxic and totally inert. It contains no Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) or Hydrofluorocarbons (HCFCs), and never has at any time during its life-cycle. It is also totally absent of any nutritional value so no fungi or micro-organisms, such as mold, can grow within EPS.
EUMEPS-Brochure "Healthy and comfortable building with EPS" ( PDF, 690.76 kB)
Toxicity of combustion gases
Tests show, that combustion gases from EPS and XPS are considerably less toxic than those from various natural products including wood products, sheep-wool, cork and flax.
Factsheet "Toxicity of Combustion Gases from PS foams" ( PDF, 320.54 kB)